Root Cause Analysis Laboratories
The core of problem-solving & Corrective Action
“Managing Risk, Enhancing Culture and Improving Performance.”
Root Cause Analysis is a problem-solving process for conducting an investigation into an identified incident, problem, concern, or non-conformity. Root cause analysis is a completely separate process to incident management and immediate corrective action, although they are often completed in close proximity.
Root cause analysis (RCA) requires the investigator(s) to look beyond the solution to the immediate problem and understand the fundamental or underlying cause(s) of the situation and put them right, thereby preventing reoccurrence of the same issue. This may involve the identification and management of processes, procedures, activities, inactivity, behaviors or conditions.
Laboratories often experience recurrence of non-conformances which sometimes results in them being suspended or test methods being removed from accreditation scope. Without an effective root cause analysis, laboratories face a certainty of recurring non-conformances thus wasting company resources.
Root cause Analysis Workshop ensures that laboratories effectively identify and address the root cause of the problem. By outlining different methodologies and practical laboratory-related examples of root cause analysis, laboratory personnel can surely improve their management system and technical services.
This science-based investigation methodology integrates problem-solving techniques from total quality management (TQM), Six Sigma, and generic problem solving approaches to identify the technical root cause (the change that has occurred) as well as any systemic root causes (system failures that allowed the change to occur). Corrective and/or preventive actions are then taken so that the performance can be restored to its previous, professional level. A control plan is then implemented to prevent the problem from ever returning.
- Introduction of a logical problem-solving process applicable to issues and non-conformities of all sizes.
- To teach the members of this class how to effectively analyze problems, determine their Root Causes, and define appropriate Corrective Actions.
- To impart familiarity with analytical tools utilized in the determination of Root Causes.
- To provide guidance to carry out proper Root Cause Analysis (RCA) with suitable quality tools.
- Determine whether a root cause analysis is required.
- Relationship between process & cause-and-effect.
- Correlation and regression Risk assessment and failure modes.
- Risk, prevention & problem-solving.
- Identify Appropriate Corrective Action Identification of permanent solutions
- Detecting Proficiency Test Failures in Laboratory.
- Identify the technical root cause(s) and any systemic root cause(s) prevention of recurring failures.
- Detection of Nonconformity within the Laboratory and being communicated.
- To ensure all deficiencies in the laboratory’s quality system and testing activities are documented through its
- Documenting an incident – various formats, Excel. (Laboratory Audit deficiency.)
Identify and implement a control plan to assure you do not have this issue again. Rooting of the sequence of events within the laboratories.
Any other relevant data or information (for example records, test results, information from staff in the relevant area, or complaints)
Participants will learn several Root cause analysis tools that will allow them to identify and correct the Underlying problems within their organization.
- Improved decision-making abilities
- Clarity of vision
- Understanding of Consequences (Cause / Effect)
- Improved Maturity
- A new sense of certainty and confidence
- Empowerment and a results-driven focus.
- Improved Performance
- Informed decision-making
- Delegations and Productivity
- Focused activities
- Improved understanding of the maintenance process
- Elimination of Time-Wasting activities
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This highly practical workshop for Laboratory analysts, professionals in Quality, Senior and Middle-Level Managers from Laboratories of any type and size (QC Labs, Medical/Hospital Labs, Pharmaceutical and Food industries Labs, Laboratory Technicians, Quality Assurance Managers, and Senior Personnel Health and Safety Manager, Supplies Acceptance Labs, In-process Labs.
The training methodology is inter-active with numerous group exercises. The pace and level of the program are customized to the understanding of the delegates.
Participants will learn that problem-solving in laboratories is about identifying and eliminating specific causes. The simple three-step process benefits people at all levels in an organization (executives to front-line employees) by creating a visual picture of how to prevent past problems for the purpose of improving business performance. This Cause Map is a simple, visual tool for capturing these specific causes and making the information available throughout an organization.
Laboratories play a very important role in the diagnostic phase of health care, public health. The performance of any lab is assessed by the turnaround time for giving reliable test results. Any delay in giving test results or unreliable results could have adverse implications. Clinical labs need to invest more in medical and information technology, employ technically qualified staff, and closely monitor the lab operations in order to meet the increasing expectations from both the clinicians and the patients for a quick turnaround time for reliable test results. The success of labs in the future would also increasingly depend on selecting appropriate strategies to provide accurate results and services. It is, therefore, essential to equip lab managers with a basic understanding of challenges in managing the delivery of quality lab services at affordable prices to patients, desired timely and quality reports to physicians, and ensure adequate financial returns to the labs.
I have benchmarked existing programmes and applied my own experience in laboratory management, operations management.
This interactive Root cause Analysis for laboratories Workshop will benefit lab owners, lab managers, pathologists, and senior technologists in improving turnaround time, inventory management, operational efficiency, quality practices and staff skills within the lab set up. As it is the notion that improved service quality, efficiencies, and professionalism in lab management will result in better delivering good quality services.
We hope to see you there!